Monday, June 25, 2012

Fashion Forward from ModaMama


 While I'm in "baby mode," some lovely bloggers will be stepping in to guest post for me! (Be sure to leave them some love!) I'll be popping in here and there to share sporadic baby updates with you :). In the meantime, enjoy!!



Hi guys!  I'm Joanna from ModaMama, and I really suck at writing guest post introductions about myself.  So here's me in a nutshell: Mama, actor, photographer, tv host, wanna-be fashion blogger, and an epic failure at making spaghetti.  Yeah, I know of all things! *sigh*  Sooo...that's kinda me.  Oh, and that's me in the picture there too...and in every other picture. Maybe I should add narcissist to that list?  *stop rambling, Jo*  Anyway, onto the fashion. 

Do you know what I love about fashion? *other than the cute clothes and pretty things of course*  What I love about fashion is its ability to make you grow, change, and take you to unexpected places.  I know that's putting a lot of meaning into the things that keep us from walking down the street naked, but that's what it's been doing for me lately.

Let's rewind.



Several years ago you'd be hard pressed to find me in anything other than black.  I just didn't have confidence in who I was and what I was capable of, so I thought it was easier to stick to a simple black silhouette.  As I've gotten a little older and gone through some things, I've become more confident in who I am as a woman and what I have to offer, and I've tried new things, first in fashion, then in life.



Now you'd be hard pressed to find black in my closet.  It's there mind you, it's just hidden among the sea of colors, pattern, shapes and styles.  I still don't know who I am sartorially speaking - one day geeky, the next bohemian, etc. - but I've realized that my fashion can be fun, unexpected, and that I don't have to be too concerned about the message I'm sending, or not sending.  I used to over-analyze.  Now I play...and I love where that attitude has taken me.

I would not have expected my favorite pair of pants to be skinny, black velvet! Nor would I have thought that I would be drooling over a fringe shirt.   But they are, and I was!   I love that getting a Peter Pan collar shirt as a hand me down, made me say, "Who cares if I look too cute for a grown woman and mother!  That's what I like today." 

This sartorial attitude has changed, or perhaps reflected,  my general attitude.  I've become more open to trying things, even if they make me nervous or scared.  There have been some mistakes, but the successes have far outweighed them.  Some of my successes have been photo shoots of fictional characters like "Nadia" and "Dawn," producing films/series *here*, and running a series called Mamahood Exposed, through which I've met some incredible women and heard some amazing and hilarious honest stories.  I can't wait to see what happens next!  Thanks for listening to my ramblings.  I'd be pleased as punch if you came to hang out with me on ModaMama.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on fashion! 

p.s. See that little fashionista diva there?  Yeah, she's on ModaMama a lot too. 

p.p.s. My best advice to new Mamas and Papas:  Get rest whenever you can, forget the housework as much as you can 'cause no one should judge you, and crying like a maniac on a daily basis in the first two months is totally acceptable!  You're grieving the loss of your old life, trying to manage the new life and the new feelings, along with crazy hormones doing the funky chicken inside your body.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment